Assignment 01

Hello Everyone! I'm Sam, a VCOM major who's interested in Visual Development and Concept Artwork for Animation and Video Games. In my free time, I like to sew, cook/bake, and hike. Over the winter break, I went hiking with my friends at a park near my place, made a drawstring backpack for my mom's birthday, and put together a blackout cake for the first time (chocolate cake w/ chocolate pudding as the filling, it came out surprisingly good). Currently, I'm making a folded tote bag and sketching out the backgrounds/locations of one of my stories. 

Most of my inspiration comes from the multiple creators (game developers, artists, photographers, etc) I follow on Twitter and reading a lot of their advice/experience on the website. I also take a lot of photos of nature while i'm out hiking so I take some inspiration from those as well. 


"Your best ideas will come to you when you’re sleeping. Please everyone get some sleep." 
- Junji Ito

Although this quote isn't as profound or as inspirational as many others, I think it's a good reminder on how important taking care of yourself is as well as how it's directly linked to how well a person does in other aspects of their life. In this quote's context, Ito (a Japanese horror comic artist) speaks about how a lot of Japanese comic artists die young because they don't take care of their health, or in this case, get enough sleep. 

I'm influenced by nature and scenery mostly. I'll include a painting of a photo I took w/ my phone as well as the original photo(my phone is kinda shitty, please excuse the low quality of the photo). In terms of media and influential people, one of my favorite artist's goes by the alias Demian (this is a link to their portfolio and website). I also really enjoy Satoshi Kon's work (my favorite movie of all time is one of his films, Tokyo Godfathers). The most prominent piece of artwork that has influenced me the most is Albert Bierstadt's The Buffalo Trail (photo of the painting is below). I saw this painting in the early 2000s and it just stuck with me since then (ie. I think about this painting form time to time). And again, i'm on Twitter and follow a lot of artists on there so I look at their work a lot. I'd say that all of their artwork influences me as well since I see it so frequently. 

I hope to graduate this semester (Spring 2020) but there are a lot of variables that might prevent me graduating. So i'm just incredibly worried, stressed out, and doing my best to make sure that these factors don't prevent me from graduating. Professionally I would like to have a job that provides healthcare and a 401k, my aspirations are pretty low lol I just want a stable job with a good paycheck. 





My three key words are:
Experimental ☾ Organized Mess ☾ Tired


Comments

  1. Hey Sam! I loved how your blog gives off nature peaceful vibes. I can definitely see and feel where your inspiration comes from. I also think your quote is very important and speaks for how self care should be acknowledged a lot more. I too, would like a job with healthcare benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam I really like your quote it not inspirational but wise, our brains need rest. I think inspirational quotes get too much exposure here is a quote that came to mind when I read yours

    "The wisdom of the wise and the experience of the ages may be preserved by quotation" - Benjamin Disraeli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sam! Incredible painting and inspirations! It feels very impressionistic! Do you do concept artwork in your free time?

    I know what you mean about being stressed, but I like your calm approach. And yes, sleep is much more important that people often give enough credit to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate how busy you stay! I find it is important to have many hobbies and other exploits, they allow a person to grow in a variety of ways. It seems that Japanese culture and art has inspired you, have you had the opportunity to travel there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting you chose the quote from Junji Ito. I have friends who are interested in his works. I think it's pretty neat that you are interested in concept art for animations and video games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sam! Nice hobbies you have there, Im delighted there are more students in our major that appreciate animations and video games. Everyone goes through the stressful period just before graduation as you have mentioned, I'm sure you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts